What PM Erdoğan said:
- With Turkish media otherwise giving scant reports about the protests, many turned to social media outlets for information on the unrest. “There is now a menace which is called Twitter,” Erdogan said. “The best examples of lies can be found there. To me, social media is the worst menace to society.”
- Erdogan reiterated that his government would not back away from plans to uproot trees at Taksim as part of his urban renovation plans for the area. In a statement that could cause more controversy, he also declared that a mosque would be built at Taksim. The mosque plans have long been contentious because it would further shrink the green spaces in Istanbul’s city center. Some argue that there are already plenty of mosques around Taksim. “I am not going to seek the permission of the (the opposition) or a handful of looters,” Erdogan said.
- Journalist Fatih Altayli asks: but not everyone drinking alcohol isn’t alcoholic? Turkish PM #Erdogan says, yes, all of them are alcoholic…
- Erdogan called the protests “ideological” and manipulated by an opposition “unable to beat (the government) at the ballot box.” He said 89 police vehicles, 42 private cars, four buses and 94 businesses were destroyed by the “vandalism” of the past two days.
- Alluding to his party’s strong base, Erdogan said he had the power to summon much larger numbers of his supporters at rallies. “Our supporters are calling and saying `are we going to stay silent?’ but I am urging calm,” he said in an interview with Haberturk television.
And what is the reality?
Turkish police are not throwing the tear gas on the ground as a standard practice but shooting them with “tear gas gun”. Journalist Ahmet Sik was hit in the head with one, being hospitalized
A resister who was blinded by a gas can that was shot by police on his head.
This is the second proof that police acted in solidarity with AKP Genclik (Gov’t youth sect) who carried sticks to beat resisters.
Academician from Yildiz Technical University blinded by a can that the police shot on his head.
Student that was beaten aggressively.
AKP party member (Mustafa Kaygusuz-AKP Antalya – Muratpasa Youth Organisation Vice-President) throwing rocks to public buildings to blame the peace resisters. He has a rock in his hand in this photo.
Old protester held his ripped-off ear in his hand until the late ambulance arrived.
Police throwing dozens of gas bombs inside Bahcesehir University and holding doors so that protesters cannot escape. The condition of victims still unknown.
Protesters claim the gas coming out of this can is different than the white tear gas used in the early stages of protest. The smoke was orange and caused paralysis and vomit on protesters, which raised the concern of “Orange Agent” (banned by UN) usage.
Real bullets used on Ethem Sarısülük from the murder scene in Ankara is collected. Ethem’s brain activities have stopped. His death announcement is soon.
Referred as “civil police” – police in disguise with dark blue caps moving together – infiltrated among protesters. There are claims of crashing ATMs or shops in order to blame the act on protesters.
Police used even the expired tear gas. This means the impact is unpredictable; not that it’s harmless but the opposite.
Ethem Sarısülük, shot by the police with real bullets in Ankara. Brain activities are confirmed to be stopped. His death will be announced soon.
The protester who’s tired of the use of teargas is holding a sign “Chemical Tayyip” referring to Prime Minister. Ironically the protester gets another shot of chemical tear gas. This was in the first fay of the protests.
Police Panzer (TOMA) shoots water on sitting protesters. The man hit in this picture is hospitalized, his condition remains in danger.
Young man who was shot with plastic bullet in the head. He suffered from respiratory problems as well, after the extensive use of teargas.
Egyptian protester who joined the ranks of Turkish ones was severely injured after police attack with TOMA (police panzer). She went into coma, but her condition is stable now.
This photo is right after Prime Minister’s speech that there were “few” cases of excessive use of force by police, and they were being investigated.
More pictures and videos: http://turkishpolice.wordpress.com